Friday, April 28, 2006

War Music and the end of CUP

Last night I went with my parents to Plosk's performance of War Music. He was excellent. The show was fabulous, and I know see why he likes working with his teacher who directed one of the most creative and interesting shows I have seen at SLC. Plosk put his whole body into the show and as my dad said this morning, "He's a wonderful physical actor." His body was tense the whole time as he jumped up walls, jumped onto stools, and fought with other soldiers. I was very proud of him. And I'm going again tonight, and probably tomorrow night if 4 softball games in 24 hours doesn't kill me first. In any case, Congrats Plosk! You were wonderful. The show itself had no props except for some stools and chairs, and for the majority of the time the actors delivered their lines with ease which is hard to do when reciting poetry and telling a story. Some were a bit stiff or couldn't achieve the same intensity as others but mostly, it was solid, and beautiful, and when Apollo rips into Plosk at the end, you can't help but get emotional. Yep, that was a long sentence.

On a completely different topic, today is my last day at Columbia University Press. Good Bye!!!!!!!!!!! I'm done!!!!!!! I'm moving forward and on May 8th I'll start my new job. I'll be working 4 days a week, and writing and getting ready for Grad School. I just had my exit interview in which I told our HR guy all of my problems with the press and why I'm leaving. Mostly it had to do with the presses stingy nature towards employees. But I feel good. And I also told him how great I think the people I work with are. Perhaps I've made a difference for future workers here. One can hope. I'll miss Fox, Abe, and L a great deal. They took me out to lunch yesterday and I had a lovely time. Wonderful mexican food. Of course I'll be back to pick berries and enjoy their company. And Abe and I will find time for scrabble, I'm sure. And fox and I will share writing. As much as I have been unhappy here for a while, my coworkers are wonderful. In fact my boss just got me a delicious coconut cake! So now I'm on a sugar high. There are some great people here and I'm happy that I had the chance to get to know them.

Change is in the air. Life is good. I'm writing, I'm studying, and I'll be working with animal rights. I'm 24 and I'm finally on a path I feel proud of.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home