Monday, May 22, 2006

Non Profits

On Saturday night Plosk and I headed to a performance held by "City at Peace." This organization brings together kids (ages 13-19) and in a year long program, guides them as they write, act, sing, and dance in their own performance. The show was and hour and forty five minutes. It tackled issues that these teens have faced in their own lives and writes about them with honesty and candor. Issues included: Domestic violence, hate crimes against gays, racism, drug dealing and gangs, rape, and interracial relationships. On stage were hispanics, blacks, whites and asians. The audience was composed of the same mixture. The teens spoke of compassion and non violence and ways in which one can deal with their complex problems with peaceful solutions. It was an inspiring performance and I can say excitedly that I will be attending again next year. If anyone is interested in reading more about it, here is a link: http://www.cpnational.org/. Now that I have entered the arena of non profit, I don't really want to leave. Well, I do want to teach at a university and that will happen eventually, but not soon. I need my masters first. So until then I can indulge in the non profit world and honestly even when I end up teaching I can still participate in that wonderful world even if it's not full time.

Sunday, my mum, dad, plosk and I went to visit my nan, great aunt, aunt and uncle for a belated mothers day celebration. It was really fun. We ate yummy food, played a little frisbee and chatted about many things including weddings and family history. I believe that everyone has their own wedding horror story that deals with their family's. Our seems quite tame compared to some that we heard yesterday. My nan looks great and she will be moving into an assisted living place in a few months. I think she'll be happier there and my great aunt definitely will since there will be more people around. Being social=good.

I have also implemented a new structure for myself for the summer. Working on my novel will now be a daily event whether I'm in the mood or not. So far it has worked phenomenally and I've had more progress and ideas in the last week than I have in the last few months. By september, I should be well on my way or nearly finished with an entire first draft. That is my goal anyway and this is a goal I'm not going to let be swept to the side. It's exciting and feels great. My characters have developed themselves beautifully. Ah, happy sigh.

Now I'm off to get ready for work, at the job that I love.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home