Sunday, June 11, 2006

Kauai 1

It’s 5:39 am and I’m sitting on a bench swing looking at the ocean, waiting for the sun to rise. There is another couple in front of us, a couple hundred yards away but besides for that we are the only people outside enjoying the morning at the Hyatt at Poi-pu beach. I journeyed to Kauai with my family when I was nine years old. I remember clusters of things like large bull frogs, the canyon, and waterfalls but I didn’t remember just how beautiful and welcoming this “garden island” is. We have not run into a single grumpy person. The people who live here are so friendly. They are a mix of natives and transplants from California and other west coast states, and you get the feeling that they love the place they live. They take pride in its beauty and culture and want to share it with those who visit. I find it rare when people take pride in where they live. I think of cities on the mainland and how people throw their garbage on the ground because they don’t care. Here, there is very little litter.

There are few roads on this island. Last night we went to the Bamboo grill where I had veggie and cashew stir fry. It was delicious. I think this is a vegan paradise despite the high dose of fish. The ingredients are all so fresh and the vegetables are plump and juicy. I actually think I could be a vegan on this island. You can grow fruits and veggies all year round. And something about this island inspires me to be even healthier. There are yoga and pilates classes at the gym. I plan on going most days. Yesterday we used the fitness center, which felt divine. That was of course after we had been swimming and walking around in the morning. Tonight we are going to a vegan restaurant called Blossoming Lotus. It is supposed to be excellent. Perhaps I’ll get some good ideas for recipes. Making sushi at home is my new favorite task and I feel myself ready to cook more.

Kauai is full of wildlife. I know I’ve only seen about 1% of it so far, but a seal likes to hang out on our beach. What is impressive is that the seal is given a quiet place to rest. If one comes on shore, the area is roped off so it can rest it’s full fat belly without the interruption of humans. I found this to be very impressive. The Hyatt is the nicest hotel I have ever been to. They have a lagoon which is filled with salt water, a natural looking pool, gorgeous huge flowers, and phallic trees that grow downwards. I haven’t seen any lizards yet. But perhaps they aren’t on this part of the island. I would recommend this resort to anyone. They upgraded our room so we have a ocean view. They love honeymooners here. You get special perks like a free bottle of champagne(I don’t know how I’m going to manage using that since Plosk doesn’t drink) and free desserts. I know we’re in the U.S. but it doesn’t feel like it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home