Sunday, August 28, 2005

Wolf Lake

Friday at about 2:15, Lori and I got in the car to head up to her family's cabin at Wolf Lake to meet friends for her birthday weekend. Lori, Elana, Amy, Andy, Adrien, and I spent the night with her family at their beautiful country house. We hung out, ate, talked, and had a lovely evening, all in preparation for Saturday's adventure. We went rafting on the Delaware River. Granted, the water is at its lowest in August so it's more of a calm lazy river. There are a few mild rapids, and they were entertaining, but mostly the day was about a 5 mile trip down the river while spending time with 3 earths and 2 waters. At least that's what I've been told.

The weekend was so relaxing and easy going. The mix of people was socially comfortable. And I was able to have some wonderful conversations with Lori and Elana. One of the most pleasant surprises (other than Lori and I's new matching sports bras from Adidas) was Elana and my conversation. We have known each other since about 9th grade of high school, but only in the way one knows their friend's friends. We see each other at social gatherings, since both Meredith and Lori are good friends with her. But we have never established our own separate relationship. This past weekend, we were able to get to know each other without looking through someone elses lens. Without seeing only what we are told is true. It was refreshing. To come to your own conclusions about another human being. Hear say is such an easy out.

Upstate NY is lovely. I haven't spent much time up there since my previous relationship. Bear Mountain, route 17, all the signs of places I had been to while visiting friends and my ex. There was a certain flavour of nostalgia in the air. In the summer time, it is a wonderful place to be. In the winter however, the cold is brutal. I would definitely go back. And the idea of one day owning a house that you can escape to is a thought for the future...distant future.

So, thank you Lori for a wonderful weekend. Happy Birthday, and I'll be seeing you in San Fran in January. (Fingers crossed)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home