Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Manuscript

Last night Plosk and I headed into the city to see the show Manuscript playing at Union Square. The show was over all very enjoyable, had funny realistic dialogue, and extremely capable actors. The story focuses on three characters in their first year of college at Yale and Harvard, talking about their writing, their aspirations, friendship, and smoking opium. I will not divulge much of the plot, but instead will say there were many laugh out loud moments, the set was wonderful, and the characters painfully real and flawed. My only critique would be that these 3 characters did not in anyway appear to be 19 years old. Instead I think at minimum they should have been 23, but could have just as easily been 29 or 30. The "Jack" like character was the most humorous, in his body language and dialogue. Quarky and compassionate, and stuck in the middle of a bizarre unforeseen conflict.

Sadly, work has been less interesting. I have been growing steadily less happy with Columbia. Their focus on numbers and production no longer reflects the job of reading poetry that was so romantic in the beginning. The poetry is dull, redundant and reflects a time when the rich published simply because they could instead of because of talent. My co-workers remain wonderful, but I feel so wasted and bored. The next project is Contemporary poetry which would suit me better however, I would first have to endure 4 more months of horror. My eyes are open for a change. A new job would make me extremely happy right now. I shouldn't complain. My job isn't terrible. It's not like I'm a bored waitress, unhappy financial person, or some Starbucks/McDonalds/Taco bell drone but I have reached a point where I'm static and no longer learning. It's been that way for a while. I do get to read all day but still- it's simply time to move forward. Lately the only thing this job has taught me to do is this : ð — þ ß æ ¡ ¿ If anyone cares to know how to make any of those codes in HTML, I'm your gal. We're representing anglo-saxon, german, spanish, and some other stuff. Oh yes, useful knowledge. I can also speak to foreigners by using articles. Like Des, Ein, Dein, Le, La, Los, Una, etc. Yep, I can feel my brain expanding. Neruda! Where are you!

And one last note, I'm a marriage snob. Please don't invite me to your wedding if you're not in love and could care less about the ceremony. If you don't want to be there, I'm probably not going to want to be there. If you're going to Marry for money or comfort, that's fine, but I don't need to make the trip.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home