Thursday, June 16, 2005

Mind Breaths

My friend Jon and I took two years of writing together. We've both read a great deal of each others material. And we both enjoy the same kinds of themes. Example: He was a big fan of Pillowman and Shockheaded Peter as well. We just caught up a bit on the phone and something I needed to hear from another writer was told to me. Something I told myself I would never need to be reminded of however it appears as if I was wrong.
So here they are:

1. Enjoy yourself. It should be fun.
2. There are no rules. Make it whatever you want it to be. There are no restrictions.

Two seemingly brainless pieces of advice that I had let go of as soon as the thought of starting a novel began. Don't write for perfection or for an audience. Write because you find it necessary and to let your mind expand, to "breathe" as Ginsberg would say. How did I let these details escape me? I'm not sure. However, I am more than ready to stop putting pressure that whatever I write has to be perfect, and that it has to be as good as a final draft. No one can live up to that kind of expectation.
Moving into the new place will be excellent for me. I'll be able to have privacy, comfort, and exist outside of a familiar domain. It is long overdue. And I know that starting next Wednesday, the real work that has to be done will begin, and I'll be able to enjoy myself writing again. Thank you Jon. I feel rejuvinated and comforted. All I can do is write how I see the world, even if it does tend to be "creepy" as it has been called by many a person.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home