Friday, June 17, 2005

Bewitched Part 2

On Monday night my dad and I left the house at 5:30 in order to drive into the city and attend the premier of Nicole Kidman's new movie "Bewitched." It was surprisingly cute. I had seen the trailer the day before which gave away a great deal of the plot so I wasn't expecting to see anything the trailer hadn't already told me. Happily I was wrong. The jokes were unique and at times very funny. It's wasn't a great movie, but it was a nice little romantic comedy.

The best part of the evening was attending with my dad. He recalled that the last movie he and I went to see solo was Men in Black II down in Annapolis. Hmm. More than a few years ago. We arrived very early so ended up getting a drink across the street(me a cranberry juice and him a soda) and then heading back past the red carpet and photographers to go into the theatre. Free popcorn, soda, and water for everyone. The unique thing about going to a premier is that the audience is comprised mostly of the people who worked on the film. No one is star struck. And no one speaks through out the entire film. There is random applause and cheering but all is done with complete respect. For the audience, this film is a product of months of work. They show it.

After the film we headed to the after party in the tents at Lincoln center. I will say at this point that I chose the wrong shoes to wear. Stella McCartney is my favorite designer for shoes- obviously because she's the only high fashion designer to use all man made materials. I had worn them to the city a few times before and had never had problems. That was with cool weather with stocking on however. I wore these with nothing but my skin and 90 degree humid weather. Oh my goodness. The pain. When we arrived I would limp along the street and as soon as we would be walking by the photographers and people at the premier, I would resume my confident walk and ignore the pain until I could limp again. The party was beautiful and there had to be about a thousand people attending including many famous faces. Two of the lesser famous but most intriguing to me were Barbara Walters (I wanted to thank her for donating 10 million dollars to my school) and the guy from Reading Rainbow and Star Trek simple because he's a childhood memory.

My dad and I drank, ate, and did a few laps around the party enjoying the atmosphere. It was nothing like PM or Marquis or Bungalow or any other A list club I had attended. And no one was hitting on anyone either. It was very refreshing. You simply came to show your appreciation and celebrate the hard work it took to create the film.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home