Friday, September 16, 2005

The Act of Secrecy

I was told recently by a friend in reference to my blog, "Sometimes, I don't like the way you write." She went on to say that between my words she feels as if I'm holding back what I'm willing to say, and that my words feel that way, clotted and forced. My response, "Of course they do." One doesn't write the most personal details of their lives and friends within this public forum. And I don't save my most eloquent language for this medium either. A blog is a place to display a public side, perhaps with some personal under tones. You must be aware of your audience. Example: my father reads my blog. (Hey dad) This in itself requires me to keep in mind what I am about to say. Many times I have the desire to write more about my personal life. Example: The same friend who told me that she doesn't like the way my blog is written at times, has spurred an enormous amount of conversation between Plosk and I. We've talked about this with the kind of bluntness that is terrifying and wonderful. Found out new things about each other. I will not talk about my friends painful experience, or the details of what my conversations have been since then. But the references to them will remind me in years to come what I was talking about. And the 'blog' allows for me to keep up with friends who I don't speak to daily. I like that they may read my words, even if those words aren't as detailed or introspective as I may sometimes like. End of song.

1 Comments:

At 11:59 AM, Blogger garyploski said...

Long time reader first time poster. Regarding the friend that said she didn't like your writing... Remember, after I get my PB back I'll show a certain something that is presently on the desktop. Cryptic... Yes. A tease... Yes. Will it be worth it... Very much so.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home