Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Number 3

It is June 20th and we are on our way home from our honeymoon. We are on our second plane ride, and headed from Arizona to JFK. We are home bound. I can’t say I’m ready to return to my day to day world. NY will seem stuffy, closed, dirty, and fast compared to Kauai. I enjoyed the easy days we had there. 3 mile walks in the morning, swimming or a pilates class in the afternoon, or just reading to each other by the shade of a tree. Our honeymoon was relaxing, happy, and cleared our heads.

Last night Plosk and I spoke of mortality again. We have talked about it a few times, what would happen if one of us was to meet some tragic end. How does one move forward from that? You have found your partner, your “daemon” and then as fast as lightning strikes, that world that has been built is gone. When I was younger I never understood why someone wouldn’t want to date after their spouse passed away. You were alone, and like any break up, it would eventually be time to meet someone new and set up another relationship, because that to me was how human’s thrive. I was wrong. I hadn’t considered how deep a relationship could go, how one cannot easily shift their mind from having found the person they want to share everything with, to moving on and finding another. I find marriage to be so different than I thought it would be and I like it more and more.

That is except for this small annoyance….My name is not Mrs. Ploski! But it was at the Hyatt even though I signed in as my own name, my original family name, my identity. Everyone wanted to call me by his name and I found myself correcting them at first and then simply saying nothing. They didn’t understand when I explained that it was not my name. I joined a new family but I didn’t not abandon my old one. I dislike the idea of being given to another family. I am a part of everything and I don’t have to give up my name in order to have committed to something new. Men don’t have to. So why is it so difficult that I have remained myself by the name I have gone by for 24 years? I guess it comes down to what people expect and what is the norm. I sadly and happily am not. The result will be that I will go by two names most likely. I will be called by both even though I never asked for a new name. So silly.

We ate insanely good food while we were in Kauai. If anyone is looking up restaurants here is my list of must do’s for food while on the island: Donderos, Tidepools (both at the Hyatt), Blossoming Lotus, and Roys. Roys was the best. For me Blossoming Lotus was second, then Donderos and then Tidepools. But they are all excellent and have great service. The portion sizes are huge though so if you’re a vain health nut like me, make sure you know that by going to these places you are going to feel bloated and gross unless you work out to counter it. We worked out more on Kauai than we do on the mainland but we don’t eat nearly as much on the mainland. It was worth it and it introduced me to some new work out joys. And Roys was some of the best food I have ever eaten, so it was well worth it.

The Hyatt is amazing. If you can afford the splurge, stay there. They have two pools, a water slide, a salt water lagoon, the beach, a golf course, about six different places to eat and friendly service. They are also incredibly respectful of the island and the locals who are allowed to use the grounds whenever they wish. I adored it there, and perhaps in 10 years, Plosk and I will return for our 10 year.

I’ve got 2 hours left on this plane. I think this flight is taking longer than the 6 hour hop to Phoenix. Usually a holiday feels light years away once you start traveling. This is not true right now. I feel like NY is so far away and going back is daunting. I am happy we’ll be getting our kittens soon. Cthulhu and Magneto are coming home with us! Yes, those are their names, and no Plosk didn’t name them- I actually did. Originally when he wasn’t sure about getting two, I used the names against him☺ How could he turn down another kitten named Magneto! He could not. So my plan of attack worked and we’re getting two little ankle nibbling kittens. Oh, life is grand.

I feel like I should have some wrap up summary for the experience of the honeymoon. It is a once in a lifetime event. And now ours has ended, or is ending. We went on a helicopter(I almost yakked (emesis)), and swam, walked, ate, smelled beautiful weapon-like flowers, and read to each other. The reading was my favorite and in fact I think I’m going to see if he wants to finish our book. So, I’m off and back to NY I come. Oh goodness. It’s not going to smell very nice in comparison.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home