Wednesday, October 04, 2006

An Activist

Spawned from a joke he got as a comment, Plosk has been calling me an activist. I've never been one before, always too afraid to act, too afraid that change isn't possible. But lately my attitude has shifted. My job has made me feel that change is something that can happen if someone goes about fueling it the right way. Nearly 100 colleges have switched to cage free eggs. Some of the big names include Yale, Tufts, Dartmouth, Notre Dame and Georgetown. I want Sarah Lawrence to be the next school to join. I've been working with HSUS to get SLC to join their campaign for cage free eggs on campus. They have been very successful. Yesterday I was able to sit down with the people in charge of dining at SLC. I spoke to them about cruelty associated with factory farming, about how SLC could be doing more for a more compassionate campus. They seemed interested and eager to know more about the non profit I work for and what we do. They even invited me to have a table next week at the health fair. "Decisions are made by those who show up." At the weekly meeting yesterday I was one of 4 students who showed up to talk about food on campus. I was prepared, had facts and news articles, concrete things for them to look over. Now I may be able to share information on factory farming at the fair next week.

I've never been an activist, but I'm becoming active- someone who believes something and then tries to change things for the better. I've always believed things and acted with personal responsibility. This is different. This is taking my beliefs and applying them to the larger world around me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home