Saturday, October 28, 2006

The C word

On Thursday I had my two year appointment at Sloan. My dad (being the ever concerned parent) picked me up at 7:15 at my apartment. What had I been doing from 6 o'clock on? Worrying. Not necessarily that I had cancer but Sloan is not a happy place to go to. Healthy people don't go to that hospital. It's an excellent facility, and I'm happy with my choice of hospital but really, I hate going there. Hate hate hate hate hate. Happily, my appointment schedule has been decreased to once a year. Why you ask? Because my new doctor told me "there is no evidence of the disease" which in his business means "cured," another word he used.

So after two years of my thyroid being removed, what did that mean to me...Surprisingly little. My dad was in the room with me and the doctor and was thrilled. My mom who I called later was happy and Plosk was also happy as can be. I felt little. Perhaps because I hadn't thought that I wasn't cured. The idea that only now, two years later, I am pronounced cured meant that for two years I was living with a false security. I'm not sure, but I'm happy everyone else was excited. It is infectious. Plosk called Alice yesterday morning and told her. Later that night I got a screaming phone call from a very happy Alice. That was the best reaction of all. Alice has wonderful reactions to things. When we told her we were getting married, it was the same thing. She goes completely nuts. It's fun. And last night I was in a terrible mood, so her enthusiasm was welcomed.

Why was I in a terrible mood? Cthulhu and Magneto were sliced open and their girl parts were taken away. They were terrified when I dropped them off at the vet. Absolutely frightened. I felt horrible because of it all day. And in the apartment their absence was noticeable. Even now, they should be crawling over my chest as I write, or snuggling under the covers up to our warm human skin. Plosk is picking them up in today while I go to a game in Newburg. It's an hour and a half drive. Bah. 8 days left of the season. I'm so looking forward to both having some free time again and playing on the club team. But today involves an 8 o'clock departure while I think of my little kittens.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home